Monday, May 15, 2006

Rut and Aaron



Last week my son Aaron came to me with a problem. Mommy, what am I? Am I black, Slovak or jew? We had a long talk about how your identity doesn’t have to be one single thing. I don’t believe your identity stops with the color of your skin or the religion you have. Next month I will adopt a little Roma boy, his name is funny enough also Aaron, but he has blue eyes and blond hair. It is difficult being a jew in Slovakia. I am a single mother and I am trying to live a kosher life. But buying kosher food is almost impossible in Slovakia, in Austria it is too expensive. I try to find my own way within the jewish way of life, one that is workable for me. The most knowledge I get from my son, when he comes back with the lessons at the jewish kindergarden.






No comments: